The Joy of Keeping Chickens


Back to the coop I go –
once again, I'll be working with my favorite editor Ann Treistman to make photographs for another farming book, The Joy of Keeping Chickens, to be produced by Skyhorse Publishing in 2009. My friend, Jennifer Megyesi (whose family was the subject of Nicola Smith's excellent account of their organic farm, Harvest), has signed up to write the book. Not only will there be the basics of raising chickens for eggs and meat in the book, but also stories about things that scare chickens in the night, the organic egg craze and even show chickens! The Northeast Poultry Congress is coming up Jan. 12-13 at the Eastern States Exposition Fairgrounds in Springfield, Mass. It's quite the sight to see. I'll be back for more...

A bantam Sebright Golden is curious about a camera lens poking into its cage at the Northeastern Poultry Congress in Springfield, Mass., in January 2006.