sitting here, waiting for happy



I finished my SoFoBoMo book yesterday... I wish I could say that I learned something in the process; or that I feel newly inspired or have felt a sense of accomplishment. Instead, the conclusion is anticlimactic.

The summer drones on... with extreme heat and severe thunderstorms. I went to the pool yesterday morning. I like to get there early to enjoy the peace and quiet, while also getting some exercise. I can't tolerate the hottest part of the day, even in close proximity to the water. I remembered another time, a couple of years ago, when we came early to the pool. The first thing I usually do is clear the toys, floats, etc that have blocked the skimmers overnight. On that morning, when I pulled away the toys, I was greeted by two huge bullfrog eyes! Can I walk on water? Perhaps not, but I can move very quickly! Jeremiah hopped out of the skimmer basket and into the pool. He was eventually rescued and evicted from the pool area (read: over the fence). I didn't realize at the time what a happy memory this would be.

We take these moments for granted. If I had looked around me on that morning, I would have seen the happy, smiling faces of my family; not one of us could imagine that it would ever be anything different. There is a phrase "The world was made round so we would not see too far down the road."

So now I am waiting for happy, hoping I will recognize its smiling face.